Friday, October 3, 2014

Crazy Cauliflower Curry

On my trip to Wegmans today I saw (and bought) the BIGGEST head of cauliflower ever. I wanted to make one of my favorite Indian dishes, but I don't know the name of it to find a recipe.

So I visited greatcurryrecipes.net. And found a recipe to base mine on, but not follow because I don't have the same ingredients or plan to follow their directions.

You were supposed to start with 3 large onions. I don't have onions but I do have about three tablespoons chives from my garden... See how this starts? Already! 

This is what I did...
I sautéed the following in my pan, adding water as it grew pasty:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- about three tablespoons shredded red cabbage
- one small organic carrot peeled into ribbons
- about 1/4 cup zesty sprouts 
- tons of garlic powder
- tons of ginger
- about 3 tablespoons curry powder
- about one tablespoon cumin
- a pinch hot Indian chili powder
- a teaspoon paprika
- the pulp and last ounce or two of Goya coconut water

Until it looked like this:

Then I added a can of petit diced tomatoes and some parsley. Brought that to a boil and poured it into the crock pot on high.

I added about a head of cauliflower and one cup unsalted cashews I had ground in the food processor.

I added water to cover the cauliflower. 

Now it looks like this:


Periodically I stir it. The house smells great but I haven't tasted it yet.


Oh my goodness! It's fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. A colleague who tasted your spinach hummus the other day says you are a "real" cook. You know how to take the ingredients on hand and turn them into a wonderful dish that resembles something you previously tasted. (Wow is that an awful sentence!)

    Were you shooting for gobi masala?

    ReplyDelete