Monday, May 11, 2015

Only Oatmeal (Raisin) Protein muffins


This is another of my experiments. The family is complaining there is nothing for breakfast. Well, I researched oatmeal protein muffins and developed this. Should have 7-8 grams protein per muffin, low fat, about 150 calories. I haven't finished baking them yet but they smell delightful.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin pans for about two dozen muffins.

In a small bowl, combine about 1 cup grape nuts and one-half cup skim milk. Stir and set aside.

In a large bowl mix:
- 1 cup homemade unsweetened applesauce, now I used pear sauce because that's what I had
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses 
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- at least 1 tablespoon cinnamon 
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla whey)
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup raisins (I don't pack them as raisins are super dense in sugar)
- add the grape nuts
- mix and add 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt

Bake about 30 minutes for small muffins, 40 for large

The flavor is more plain than I expected and the mouth feel is a tad chewy. Not bad but the kid may require jelly on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment