Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Somali style stew with chicken on the side


I wanted a Somali style stew and thought I could toss something in the crock pot to cook for the day. And I thought I'd use chicken thighs, even though they aren't common in Somali cuisine.

But all I had were drumsticks.

For the stew (toss in crockpot):
- one cup white/great northern beans (no salt)
- one can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- about 1.5 cups frozen butternut squash
- about 2/3 cup frozen zucchini
- one cup homemade chicken stock (no salt)
- one cup water
- paprika
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
- 3 whole cloves
- cumin
- a pinch cinnamon

I think.

Now the drumsticks:
I marinated six drumsticks in spiced apple cider, smearing them with a small amount of orange marmalade and sprinkling them with a 1/2 teaspoon or so (each) of brown sugar. Left them in the fridge all afternoon.


Cooked them for 20 minutes at 350, basted thoroughly with the juice from the pan and then increased temp to 425 for an additional 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment